Jon Johnson

Jon Johnson ~ Noel Novelet 2016

6 posts in this topic

Updated for the 2016 season. i arranged this version of a very old French song called Noel Nouvelet. Known in modern day circles as A Conventry Carol. In 2012 I began making amateur music videos to go with some of my music and released a trio of holiday songs that all feature a video.This is the first song on the release but was the last video made. For the score keepers like me I used the Korg OASYS for most of the music as well as the Legacy Mono/ Poly Gone are the still pics that never seemed to cue right so you just gotta settle for a boring music performance :synth::OK:

1 person likes this

JJ -- very fun to watch and listen, thanks for the good cheer.  Where did you get the music for this?  What I know as "Coventry Carol" is quite different sounding.  I did an interpretation of it (audio only) a couple of years ago myself, actually.  So in the spirit of the season, I'll share it with you here...

Coventry Carol

Luly Lulay

Thanks for sharing Charles. I enjoy your music and interpretations of songs. I'd probably heard the Conventry carol when i was a kid but didn't care or know about it. My wife and kids used to go to Ford's Theater in DC several years in a row to see the play A Christmas Carol and the opening scene featured it. I looked it up online a few times and it always came up with the version similar to yours. the missed line I found was the lead melody line of the version I learned about has "Sing We now of Christmas...." thats how a lot of listings have the song but its also lobbed under 'A Coventry Christmas and Noel Nouvelet" Both songs feature the same passages/refrain that you sing but it also has the "Sing we now.." which my version was based upon. There's lots of versions. One that I know of is Bob Read's version featured on The Best Of Narada Christmas double CD also called Conventry carol/Noel Nouvelet.

That's something I love about this site that you and Jack are maintaining here -- I can learn something new everyday.  Nice reeds on this piece you posted here too.  Good Tidings to You and Yours!

In my younger days when I worked for a couple of different record store chains I was a complete snob about the Narada label. Over the years I've come to appreciate a few favorites from it. I still don't know or listen to most of it all.