Jack Hertz

For all things electronic music...

Encyclotronic an expression of our passion for electronic music that has developed over 30+ years. After many years of searching for electronic music all over the world. We made it our mission to create an exhaustive archive that could support all aspects of Electronic Music. As an art form and a culture, to encompass the Music, Instruments and the People behind it. 

This site is for everyone to discover and share music, instruments, radio and all things electronic music. The basic foundation is being developed with the help of yours and community's feedback. If you find something we have NOT done. We want you to add it with the tools we created to do so.

How You Can Participate

We want your information, opinions, feedback and suggestions. If you have any desire to research and share knowledge on any aspect of Electronic Music - or just point out mistakes thave have been made. We want your help with growing the site by adding information about yours and your favorite music and instruments. Even better, we have setup the Libraries to include dedicated forum comments and reviews for everything you do. Be it an individual or company, with an new album to share, gear to present, or events to announce. We encourage you to make use of the site to connect with old and new electronic music culture. If you don't see it, let us know. We are happy to respond, and make it happen if we can.

Cut The Cords!

One of the biggest features we worked on was to make Encyclotronic available everywhere. The site is designed to work with your phone, tablets, TV and Computers. We hope you will make this your EM home to PM, read, post, chat and share at home or on the GO!

The Libraries

The libraries were designed from the ground up to document information on a wide variety of electronic instruments, music, and more to come. With man parameters, the form is setup as a research guide to direct you on what to document for a given instrument. The fields are mostly optional, with a handful setup as "required" to ensure each record includes the essential data. Ideally, we want to include as much information as possible with the most common values pre-defined as check-boxes for fast and easy documentation. Optionally, we have created open "Notes" fields for the main sections to document the specific and uncommon information about an instrument.

Updating Current Records

We have done the best we can in our research, and surely made some mistakes. If you see any thing that is incorrect, incomplete or needs to be updated. You encouraged to update the record yourself. Simply scroll to the bottom of the page. Click on the "Edit" link to access the content form. It is a long page, so best to search if its just one section you want to update. When done, you can save the changes at the bottom of the page. Don't worry if you make a mistake. We keep track of all the revisions and will review your changes before adding them.

Adding New Records

Adding a new library record is a bit different. You will want to prepare it by getting by gathering any text, images, links and extra files you can upload like manuals, patches, and other supporting documents. Once you have everything for the instrument, music, or patch ready. Go to the tab section and category you want to add to. Then click the blue "Add New" button. Then fill out the form to the best of your ability. Some of the fields are required, and must be completed to save the record. Once you are done, you can go back and update the form as needed. Don't worry if you make a mistake. We will review your entry and will ensure it is complete before adding the new item.

Content Guidelines

When adding any content to the databases. We request that you follow some guidelines for data gathering and entry:

• Do not copy full articles, reviews and other private content unless you have the rights to share the content.
  • Sourcing information from Manuals, Ebay, Wikipedia and official product information are okay under fair use. 
  • Always link back to the original information that quotes and images were found, in the sources section.
  • For instruments we want to see images of the front, panels, sides, connections, and back of the device.
  • Add new items without a category to the "Misc" section. We will create categories and move them later.

Account, Questions, Bugs and Support

This site has a learning curve to be sure, but we hope those of you familiar with the classic forums model and or social networks will find this to be the best of both worlds. In any event, we expect you will have questions. Not to forget, this has been an 18 month development project and there are surely bugs in the system that we will want to catch and fix if we can. That said here are some ways to get help:

Behind The Curtain

Jon and I (Jack) are die-hard EM fiends since the early 1980s. We've been talking about doing this for 20 years. We finally pooled our decades of experience in music, publishing, retail, technology, and teaching into what you see today. With your help, we are committed to making this site a valuable resource for all EM fans, around the world. Read more about  us on our profile pages:

Join The Team!

After 18 months of research and hard work. We are well aware of the challenge ahead of us. We cannot, and do not want to, do this alone. We are looking for people who are both interested in developing a great resource and an organization to make it happen. If you are interested in getting involved behind the scenes. Send me a Private Message with your thoughts on how you would like to contribute.

EMjoy!

• Like 10

On 11 October 2016 at 9:06 PM, Shane Morris said:

Looking good, gentlemen! Loving all of these improvements and approaches!

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Gsell said:

A good place for electronic and ambient music here

Great to be here... All looking very good! Thank You Jack, Jon ... :) Annemarie

• Like 3

I notice that the "Classical/Symphonic" (THANK YOU FOR MAKING THAT DISTINCTION!!!! Just because an orchestra or orchestral instruments is/are used DOES NOT make it classical) has 0 pieces in it.  Can I or should I contribute some pieces? I have a few unpublished pieces loafing around that I could get off the street.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tonalchemy said:

I notice that the "Classical/Symphonic" (THANK YOU FOR MAKING THAT DISTINCTION!!!! Just because an orchestra or orchestral instruments is/are used DOES NOT make it classical) has 0 pieces in it.  Can I or should I contribute some pieces? I have a few unpublished pieces loafing around that I could get off the street.

YES, please do. 

15 hours ago, Atonal said:

Great site ,I can see myself spending quite a bit of time here and also want to thank Charles Schriner for making me aware of its existence ..

Welcome to homestead! Take yer shoes off, set a spell. 

:guitar: