Shane Morris

Ableton Live

greg hooper    4

how is the switch going? I currently use Reaper and have for ages but it can get annoying because of the awful aesthetics eg if you don't like your Theme just go to the stash and get another theme you won't like

but it does have a lot of power as well. I have looked at Live a tiny bit but wondered how it would go as primarily an audio editing DAW ?

Shane Morris    85

Well I ran into a problem with my current laptop. It doesn't have any ram to process LIVE. Tried several different sticks but it won't accept any of them. So I saved up some money and now looking for a new pc that can handle all that LIVE has to give.

I have done a few practice runs in LIVE and getting the hang of it, but there is a lot to learn. Ive been using Reaper for a long time (still love it too). It's a great DAW. LIVE really seems like the ultimate DAW for everything for me. There are many time saving techniques involved once you learn how it all works. LIVE has 2 views, Performance view and Composition view (traditional). The performance view can be really quick and handy to set up your new track. The built-in instruments and efx are really good and the DAW is very good about accepting other vsts, something kinda hit and miss with my Reaper experience.  Really looking forward to my new pc (when I make a decision) so I can explore LIVE much deeper

• Like 1

Jon Johnson    178

I love Live. There are many ways to start and levels to learn. There's a bunch of stuff it does that I'd love to use in a performance some time. Been using it since it's release with a few side tracks of using other DAW's. Its good to take a break with something else but when they added MIDI/VSTi years back I made it my mainstay unless working with my bigger hardware which ultimately at some point has to go into a computer. It's not the only one to offer it's kind of flexibilitybut I like it.. I also like Cubase and may have gone with it more had I not invested most of my resources into Live over the years. You can get things done fast when needed. I spose any DAW that you know well can get you there quick. 

• Like 1

muied lumens    28

I'm still quite happy with Reaper. Haven't had any problems with plugins but I don't use that many, mainly a couple of Valhalla plugs and some free ones.

I just updated in fact, or re-bought it because it handles video as well in version 5. Quite nice to be able to edit video in an environment that I know.

Ableton Live with Max looks like a dream environment though... If I started out from scratch, that would be something I'd seriously think about. Maybe some day. :)

• Like 1

DES    3

I've been using Reaper since around version 3.x and for the money it's hard to beat.  It is a bit clunky to move around in though.  I'm not really fond of some of their midi editing tactics, but I can get things done with it.  I guess the thing with it is you really need to dig into the manual and tweak the UI/menus to your liking.  I also use Live but haven't used the composition view much...I need to look into it more.   The one thing that bothers me is it not having a built in 32bit bridge like Reaper.  Not a big issue as I can run it and Reaper at the same time...I use Live as a midi source and pipe it into Reaper.  I do this on a relatively newer rack mount PC that I built.  My laptop got to be underpowered and instead of forking out a bunch of money for another one I just went the normal PC route...I can get more mileage  that way for less money.    I used to use Saw Studio...still do for some editing but it's handling of VST(I) is weak compared to the other two.  Sounds great though.

• Like 2

Shane Morris    85

So a few months later for me now...

I've got Live down under control for the most part. It's incredible, especially for rhythmic integration. However I still like to mix in Reaper a bit better. So I use both now. Tend to prep up rhythmic stuff in Live then port everything over to Reaper for mixing