Jack Hertz

What Was Your First Electronic Instrument?

Tell us about your first Electronic Insturment. We want to know:

1. Where and when you got it.
  2. Why you chose it.
  3. How much you paid for it.
  4. What did with it.
  5. If you still have or why you got rid of it.

Note: its doesn't matter what it was, as long as it opened the door to electronic music for you.

• Like 1

First synthesizer: Korg 770

1. Bought it used from a band mate in January 1981

2. The only synthesizer that somebody i knew was selling and I didn't care as long it was a synthesizer

3. $75

4. Wanted to be Geddy Lee and augment my Prog Adventures. 

5. Stolen from my apartment in 1984

Pictured below on Halloween 1982

My Korg 770.jpg

• Like 1

the first electronic instrument I used was made by a friend - it was a simple circuit stuck on a piece of wood and you played it by pressing strips of tin to make contacts. 

1. Adelaide Australia, maybe 1972. We were still in school
  2. Why you chose it - we were doing exploratory music and my friend liked making electronics
  3. How much you paid for it. nothing
  4. What did with it. It sounded just like the sort of circuit breaking thing people do now.  We would use it when playing drums and guitars and make those circuit breaking sounds with detuned guitars etc. 
  5. If you still have or why you got rid of it.  Long long gone - maybe. I think we got rid of that stuff as we conventionalised our music under the pressure of the progressive music thing and trying to sound like "proper"  (ie foreign) musicians.
  • Like 2

My father, CJrGoff's, Webcore portable reel-to-reel tape recorder. 

1)  I was 4 years old (1962), Fremont, California, USA

2)  It was there in my home environment.  When I discovered it, I thought it was magic. 

3)  It eventually just became mine because my Dad didn't really use it much.

4)  I recorded all sorts of things, played them back fast, slow, punched in new sounds to get strange effects, eventually learned to edit with scissors, to loop, etc. 

5)  That old reel-to-reel sadly disappeared after my parents left the world of the living.  I've owned at least 100 different types of tape recorders over the years.  Today I own eleven.  I've recorded at least 50 albums that employ Frippertronics style tape loops, produced at least 100 cassette albums (many of which were created on 4 track tape decks), and often still use cassettes (or microcassettes) to input sounds into "live" mixes/performances.  Tape recording produces sounds that are impossible to achieve with other recording technologies making them not just machines for media storage, but genuine electronic instruments.

• Like 3

Glad you decided to put some new shoes on this horse, Jack, congratulations on the new Encyclotronic, good luck with the reboot!

Jon!

How nice to get such warm receptions so quickly!  I look forward to hearing more of your sounds and reading your observations.  I don't what 'twas that got you guys to reinvent this site, but I'm glad you did -- there has been a bit of a hole in the universe since it went away.  Good luck, keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

It was the Animoog. I started out wanting a tablet to replace an ordenary sketchbook. This was when I still was a painter. Now, I have long before that loved electronic music ala Klaus Schultze, and found out that there actually were synthesizer apps to by aswell. So I thought, what the heck, I'll buy one so I can play with sounds. Then I bought, fully on random, Animoog. That changed my life. I soon needed something to record it on, and got Meteor IOS DAW. THat wasnt quit enough, and I got a jack to jack cable to plug it into the in on my laptop, to record into Audacity. Read up, saw videos, and after a long research bought Studio One. Loved it, startet buying more softsynths, and before short I had my first 50 minutes piece. Well, thats the story of my first electronic instrument. Today I mostly play with my new modular, but still love softsynths :) I chuck in the link for the forementioned piece :)
This first piece after a while turned into a triptych. You will of course find some Animoog in here aswell :)

• Like 2

On 11/2/2016 at 10:38 AM, CIIIGoff said:

Jon!

How nice to get such warm receptions so quickly!  I look forward to hearing more of your sounds and reading your observations.  I don't what 'twas that got you guys to reinvent this site, but I'm glad you did -- there has been a bit of a hole in the universe since it went away.  Good luck, keep up the good work. 

The Intro tries to explain, its the love for all things EM and a growing worry that a lot of important information on music and gear is disappearing. Everything from your CC releases, to what that thrift store find does, to those funny ads in 1970s magazines should be captured, organized and preserved for all to emjoy.

• Like 2