Geir

Audio to cv.

Hello folks, I'll let this be my first post in here.
I have been working with electronic music some years now. Of late i've been wanting analog sound to trigger and control my modular. I have been playing the jawsharp for many years, and want to use this. I have also just met a guy that does this, but with obo, ms-20 and some other synth I dont remember the name of, but not modular.
So I wonder if any of you in here can give me some tips about modules that can convert audio signal to cv. Or external boxes that can do this. Or can simply an amplified audio signal be used as a cv signal?

What you are looking for is some kind of pitch to CV converter. Not sure if there is anything new and affordable for CV. 

For MIDI, I use and love these Sonuus G2M pitch to MIDI converters - http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

You can pair the Sonuus G2M with any Euro rack MIDI to CV module and you are there. 
sonuus_01a.jpg?RGuBpduro544WFTaxlPcP8l_b

Another option is to use a DAW that can convert audio to MIDI data and then use the Kenton USB to CV interface OR use a cheap USB to MIDI cable with a Euroack MIDI to CV module.

USB-Solo-front-RGB.jpg 

usbtomidi.jpg

Hi there and welcome aboard. We're happy your here. I concur the Sonuus G2M works real well. Another option if you have an iOS device there are a couple of apps that are made for guitar to MIDI but they work great for anything. Sonuus now has a G2M app http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m_app.html and Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 2 app http://www.jamorigin.com/docs/midi-guitar-for-ios/ and MIDI Morphosis https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midimorphosis-polyphonic-audio/id495856824?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4 They can also be polyphonic but I would keep it in monophonic mode for your purpose. I have both Jam Origin's and MIDI Morphosis.

All these are audio to midi. Which means I will need another convertor, midi to cv. My hope is to find something that has multiple cv outputs (and prefferably with atenuator on), so that the adio can trigger several parameters on the modular. THat way it can live its own life, besides the constrictions I put on other parameters.
I have the Morphosis, and have used it with good success on the ipad. Using my laptop as you say, Jack, but just for the sake of the search, I will leave that option out for now. Ensured that the laptop _will_ be a part of a full setup in time. Binary and voltage/herz side by side, makes us gods :) 

A hodgepodge, no doubt. :) Even with all this, the larger problem is pitch to anything is still not so great. Even the current devices only work under constrained conditions. Can't play no chords, hi and low note ranges don't track well, etc. means these things don't work as expected. Not always a bad thing. 

I actually use them the other way around. To use modular and noise gear to send MIDI to my comuputer and other MIDI gear that don't do random things so well.

Pitch and accurate tracking isn't that important. I want the unexpected results. Its like when I let my MS-20 trigger itself with its own sound through its external input. I never know exactly what it will do. And that is what makes it into a musician to improvise with in it self. Not sure how to expain this really. But suffice to say, accuracy is not important for this request. The important issue is what devices is there.

Hmm, and just now I saw a vid postet on synthtopia, that my maths also can work as an envelope follower. Damn that module is deep. Seriously, I see that I have barely scratched its surface.