Sign in to follow this  
muied lumens

The Democratisation of Music

Funny, I came across this article from 1987 about how technology is giving more people the opportunity to record their own music. If only he knew what was coming! I think that these days almost all of the interesting music is happening outside of the now "Old School" music industry. There is no doubt in my mind that making the technology available to the masses has opened up a slow revolution still in motion for the curious listener. There is now a whole universe of sounds and musics to explore where you can listen your whole life to new material without ever returning to something you have heard before. Unless you want to, of course. It's like having access to all the campfires in the history of human kind, listening to the stories and songs that we repeat to each other.

After all, that's where music started out, amongst the people, and that is where it still belongs. :)

Yes, and of course the 1980's spawned the whole world-wide experimental cassette culture, which was big enough to make the music industry (oxymoron) a little nervous at the time.  Lots of those old avant garde tapes are available for the masses to hear on the internet now.  Should you (or anyone) care to have a tiny audio glimpse at some of those revolutionary recordings, I did a show on the subject through Jerry Kranitz's Aural Innovations for years (earliest shows at the bottom of the page):

Lo Finest

• Like 2

Ha, I was working in a record store between 1986 and 1991. The only awareness of the underground, was purposely made underground music like Tom Waits, The Prodigy or Nirvana. I never considered what I do as a part of that product culture. I am more interested in the art of sound, like a painter is interested in the art of light.