Jack Hertz

RIP Pauline Oliveros (87) - SF Tape Center Founder

I had the fortune of attending one of her listening lecturethings about 20 years ago.  It was held in an old church in downtown Kansas City -- free of charge, a rare chance to interact with some of the few lovers of sound and sonic experiments here in the KC area too.  All good.  Somewhere in my house I have a cassette tape that retains a bit of that whole experience too -- now to the search... 

• Like 1

I didn't find her music till the early 90s, and didn't really make the connection till I came back to music in 2009. Years later, I attended Kim Cascone's Deep Listening class and became intimate with what she was doing, conceptually and philosophically. Deep Listening was a great revelation for me. It validated my long determination to avoid learning about sound through standard music theory. To become more like a painter with sound, than a bricklayer. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of her passing. I had the pleasure to cross paths with her a few times, including at a multi-day Deep Listening Institute Conference several years ago and later her 80th birthday celebration, both at RPI. I think the first time was at a New Music Society Concert in the 1980s in Syracuse, NY. She remains a pioneer and a great influence and I expect her influence will continue through the lives she touched.