Jon Johnson

Topic: System 7

System 7 is the debut album released in 1990. System 7 is a band based around Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy. Their website has the following information about the band and it's collaborations. We released our first System 7 record in August 1990, and since then have released 11 albums and a string of singles with some classic remixes. We are one of the few techno groups to feature the electric guitar (with the sound often heavily processed), and to have a female synthesizer player. We have been part of the development of Techno and Ambient music for many years, and our mission is to continue with that process. Many of our tracks are made with guest collaborators - DJs and members of other groups. We have developed a live performance approach that is a bit more extreme than our records, with tougher beats and hypnotic live echo loops. Since 2005 we have also developed our chill out and downtempo sister project Mirror System

We oppose frontiers and rigid divisions, both within the music scene and in the world at large. We feel part of a musical movement of dance-based rhythms and psychedelic ambiance that embraces the whole planet, and through our friends and collaborators we seek a network of highly creative people.

Due to legal reasons System 7 were forced to use a pseudonym in the US. They chose 777 which led to a confusing combination of album releases: the first System 7 album, "System 7" was released in 1991. It was reissued as "777" by 777 in America (with some track differences) in 1992. The second System 7 album was also called "777" (1993), but contains completely different tracks.

View full album

I guess you know that Mr. Hillage has just released a big box set which includes some unreleased System 7 stuff as well as a lot of older recordings, live stuff, remixes, etc. 

A few weeks back I tuned into this live interview on he did (two hours) on a little British radio station.  I believe the full show is available on the link below for anyone interested, includes him playing music from people who have influenced him and lots of stuff from the box set:

https://beta.mixcloud.com/interestin...llage-special/

(I hope this link still works... like I said, I heard it as it happened...)

Keep up the good work, Jon, you've been sharing lots of interesting music here of late.

• Like 2

Thank you for the heads up about Mr Hillage.  He's among my top favorite artists I frequently think of. The box set would be great to have. We want to be your full service "interesting music" place :DJ:

16 hours ago, CIIIGoff said:

A few weeks back I tuned into this live interview on he did (two hours) on a little British radio station.  I believe the full show is available on the link below for anyone interested, includes him playing music from people who have influenced him and lots of stuff from the box set:

https://beta.mixcloud.com/interestin...llage-special/

HOLY COW, what a great show. Thank you!!!

Well, no question that the Hillage Green Preservation Society is in full flower here.  Glad to be of some service in the cause.  My goodness, typing all that info about the box set must have taken a day or two or three.  Rock on brothers!  Keep up the good work.