Jon Johnson

Topic: Healing

Todd Rundgren's 1981 album Healing centered on spirituality and the human condition, something Rundgren had touched on many times in earlier works but never with the consistency exhibited here as every track explores a different aspect. The back cover image of the album shows the Caduceus and a Qabalistic Tree of Life each overlaid by a treble clef which is reversed for the Tree of Life,, reflecting Rundgren's linking of his spirituality and music.

The original vinyl release includes a bonus 7" 33rpm single featuring the tracks "Time Heals" and "Tiny Demons" which are unlisted on the album sleeve but are included at the end of the later CD release as tracks 10 and 11. "Time Heals" and "Compassion" were both released as singles and a promotional video was made for the former, which was the eighth music video to air on MTV during its launch on August 1, 1981.

"I did the record as an experiment. If the record could be therapeutic if you actually consciously try to make it so. And uh, while it was therapeutic for me creating a texture of sound that was amenable to that idea, after the album came out, some people told me they thought the record actually had therapeutic value. Now I’m wondering whether it was the quality of the music, or because there is some audio suggestion in there, when you call a record, “Healing”. - Todd Rundgren 1981

View full album

I saw the world premier of Compassion when TR played a benefit with the Tubes at Bimbos in SF in late 1980.  It was just a month or two before this show that Rundgren had been robbed in his home, tied up by the robbers as they picked over his stuff, humming "I Saw The Light."   I've always thought that the Healing album was created as a salve for the wounds suffered during this incident.  If it had been me going through all this, I'm sure I would have created an album to help sooth the pain...

• Like 1

Whoah I remember hearing abit about that incident. I think your probably right in your observation. I always thought it was his take on his own faith journey. He traveled to the Middle East and elsewhere in the 70's and had absorbed some of the faiths of the regions he visited from some interviews I've heard and read.