Sign in to follow this  
Jack Hertz

Topic: GRINDSTONE REDUX

GRINDSTONE REDUX is the story of the underground music network of the 1980s?and how it transformed the music business. In response to an industry with a narrow spectrum of work being released and promoted, artists decided to self-publish and distribute before the internet made it commonplace.

The advent of affordable recording equipment, synthesizers and photocopiers made it possible for musicians and bands to form a network by producing home recordings and exchanging them through the mail. For the first time, musicians were able to produce and distribute their work without a major record company.

They formed their own record labels, produced independent magazines and began the first generation of radio shows devoted to independently-released music. The network was supported by small, independent record stores (which have all but disappeared) where musicians could place their work for sale, as well as discover other like-minded artists and 'zines.

View full movie

Thanks for posting this here, Mr. H!  My highest respects go out to Andy Kovats of True Age for producing this documentary the way he did -- that is, by soliciting artists to self produce responses to a list of questions, and then to skillfully edit these responses into a contiguous story that takes a year-by-year account of events in the 1980s and melds it to the whole american avant garde home recording phenomenon. 

Also, William Davenport recently did a documentary on the same subject with a much more "interviewer-interviewee" approach, which is well worth watching too methinks:

The Great American Cassette Masters

What goes around, comes around. I would never have known about it if you didn't give me up with a copy. To hear these people's stories and see Poison Plant tapes in their racks is a real thrill for me. Thanks again!

Thanks, I have that on my list to add. FWIW, I not only invite people to recommend new electronic music films to. All are more than welcome to add them yourselves. Like the other databases, just click the [ Add new movie ] button at the top of the section pages.