Sign in to follow this  
Jack Hertz

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith on Developement, Process, and Sunergy!

The Fiffteen Questions Site published one of their insightful interviews with Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith. Her recent album releases and shows have been a real hit with electronic music fans who cannot get enough of that Buchla love.

fifteen-questions-interview-kaitlyn-aurelia-smith-718.jpg

For most artists, originality is first preceded by a phase of learning and, often, emulating others. What was this like for you? How would you describe your own development as an artist and the transition towards your own voice? 

I first taught myself through exploration of melodies that would come into my head. At the time, I was doing independent study for schooling and got a job working for a film composer who taught me Protools so I could record my ideas. When I went to Berklee College of Music, I learned the value in studying others’ music. I didn’t listen to much music when I first started, besides long tabla music albums.

Could you describe your creative process on the basis of a piece or album that's particularly dear to you, please? Where do ideas come from, what do you start with and how do you go about shaping these ideas? 

Creation for me always starts with a feeling of connection (to anything) that is from a subconscious place. The logical side of my brain is simultaneously there, but not as dominant, until it is needed for problem solving or theory.

The sessions for Sunergy were very enjoyable; there was a lot of laughter. It all seemed to flow and a creation came out easily. Our communication was easy. We would ask constantly, “Who's driving?“ (laughs) meaning, whose clock is driving who, since we would switch off with one another.

Read more of the "Fifteen" Questions interview with Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith at 15questions.net