Jack Hertz

Pearl EM1 malletSTATION - Adjustable Range Electronic Mallet Controller Designed by Keith McMillen

Pearl once again redefines the electronic percussion experience by introducing the revolutionary malletSTATION Adjustable Range Electronic Mallet Controller. Designed in partnership with Keith McMillen Instrument, the malletSTATION brings next-generation technology to the 21st century mallet percussionist.

malletSTATION%20-%20Front%20with%20No%20

The malletSTATION model EM1 is a full sized 3.0 octave adjustable range electronic mallet controller designed for all players in any genre, from the beginning student through the gigging professional.

The adjustable low note range function allows you to set the fundamental diatonic note of the instrument to what you need—low D xylophone? No problem! The malletSTATION is powered exclusively by Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, and Android devices through USB Bus Power, allowing performance almost anywhere with minimal set-up and equipment.

Designed in collaboration with Keith McMillen Instruments, malletSTATION’s tech-forward design features KMI’s Smart Fabric Sensor technology allowing the silicone bar material to have an extremely sensitive, natural response, including mallet dampening and aftertouch control, and all can be easily tailored to your individual playing style.

test-sm1.jpg

The EM1 features a master control section, with 3 programmable faders, 4 programmable buttons, and the fixed function low note and octave shift buttons. In addition, three assignable pedal inputs allow for flexibility in performance such as sustain, expression, or any MIDI parameter of your choice. These controls are fully programmable through a software editor so changing your configuration is as easy as clicking a mouse.

The EM1 malletSTATION is also the most affordable mallet percussion controller on the market, street priced at just $999. The ultra-thin, lightweight chassis allows for easy portability, and the flexible mounting options provide many different ways of using your instrument. This is the only controller that will grow with you throughout your playing career—from music apps on your phone or tablet, to professional digital audio workstations and sound libraries—your sounds, and even the instruments you play, are only limited by the software you run.

Read all about the EM1 malletSTATION at http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/electronics/malletstation/

test-sm2.jpg

Great to have another mallet controller on the market...and especially the price! wow! Huge undercut on Alternate Mode (and Buchla... not sure if they still make their mallet instrument). Ive been playing a malletkat since the 90s. Unfortunately they are a bit susceptible to humidity and I'm in a high humidity area. Ive had to send it in to AM a couple times and it's currently not working properly again. Hopefully this model will have better defences against humidity.

I like the extra (optional) bars in the accidental keys. A very cool option to have...though I might color it or mark it to avoid confusion. Would be cool for triggering other sounds or chords while soloing, and lotsa other possibilities. Also the extra controls on the right are a huge plus too.

I kinda dislike the look of using the drum cymbal stands as a stand. I think Pearl should have used that system for mounting, which is great for adding to a rack like the vibes above, but created something a little more aesthetically pleasing and unique that complements this great creation.. of course just my .02$. But it could easily be mounted (I think) on any kind of keyboard stand laying flat..so not a deal buster or anything.

The playing surface will be crucial. Looks like a hard surface. Couldn't imagine it would be though. But at any rate, the feel and action will be a crucial point. Some people mention it didnt have all the midi inputs. I haven't seen the specs. But I personally love the USB option. That's another sweet feature the others don't have.

I think this is going to put a dent on Alternate Mode's malletkat. More competition is a good thing though.

• Thanks 1

It looks really nice, and I love the price too. But I am skeptical as Peavy tends to make low quality stuff. Nothing is going to fail sooner than a percussion device. But who knows? I love that  you can set the fundamental diatonic note, so it can be any scale you like. They do include some kind of overlay bars as you can see in the image below. And yeah, the stand looks horrible. IDK why they didn't go with a simple keyboard stand.

malletSTATION  with Caps.jpg

I didn't know that about the malletKat. I see them for sale sometimes and have been tempted to get one.

Yeah! Those covers are perfect, as long as the pad is still trigger-able. I didn't realize Peavy owns Pearl?

Malletkat was the original midi mallet instrument. www.alternatemode.com